York Museums Trust receive £850,000 from the Government’s Cultural Recovery Fund
York Museums Trust have received £850,000 from the Government’s Cultural Recovery Fund to help the charity survive the next six months.
The Trust was one of more than 1,300 cultural and creative organisations across the country who found out on Monday (October 12) that they had been successful in applying to the scheme which was funded by the Treasury but distributed through Arts Council England.
The money will help York Museums Trust remain financially viable in the immediate future, having already sustained losses of more than £1.8 million because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Reyahn King, chief executive of York Museums Trust, said: “This is a huge boost to York Museums Trust and will help sustain us as a charity as we continue to struggle with the significant financial challenges ahead. “We are greatly aware of how important the museums and collections in our care are to the people and communities of York and to the city as a whole as a cultural destination. This funding will enable us to keep York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery and York Museum Gardens partially open until Spring 2021 and to invest in fundraising to help bring in additional income and support. It is our ambition to rebuild, as audiences and income hopefully increase as we head into Summer 2021.”
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “This funding is a vital boost for the theatres, music venues, museums and cultural organisations that form the soul of our nation. It will protect these special places, save jobs and help the culture sector’s recovery.
“These places and projects are cultural beacons the length and breadth of the country. This unprecedented investment in the arts is proof this government is here for culture, with further support to come in the days and weeks ahead so that the culture sector can bounce back strongly.”
Chair, Arts Council England, Sir Nicholas Serota, said:
“Theatres, museums, galleries, dance companies and music venues bring joy to people and life to our cities, towns and villages. This life-changing funding will save thousands of cultural spaces loved by local communities and international audiences. Further funding is still to be announced and we are working hard to support our sector during these challenging times.”
The Trust was one of 1,385 cultural and creative organisations who applied for survival funding of less than £1 million from a pot of £257 million, which is part of the Government’s £1.57bn Cultural Recovery Fund announced in July. Further rounds of funding in the cultural and heritage sector are due to be announced over the coming weeks.