The Friends of York Art Gallery
The Friends of York Art Gallery was established in 1948 with the aim of creating a lively interest group with a passion for art, and to establish and maintain a fund to support the gallery’s work.
Today, the Friends play an important role in helping York Art Gallery achieve its acquisition targets by making grants for the purchase of works of art, conservation, and education, as well as helping to fund the gallery in other regards.
Alongside their annual membership subscription, the Friends also organise an active events programme with a number of trips away, social luncheons, occasional art sales, and talks and tours to help raise funds for the gallery. Members may also support the Friends and the gallery in the form of bequests.
With over 900 existing members, the Friends are a growing group and always looking to welcome new members.
- Famous Portrait of King Richard III to go on Display at the Yorkshire Museum
- York Museums Trust statement in support of The Rowntree Society
- New display at York Art Gallery - ‘Pictures of the Floating World: Japanese Ukiyo-e Prints’
- York Museums Trust CEO joins National Museums Directors’ Council Executive Committee
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund