Museum Development Yorkshire
Museum Development Yorkshire is part of York Museums Trust and funded by Arts Council England. They support museums across Yorkshire to manage their resources, look after their collections and provide services to their audiences in ways that meet or exceed recognised standards within the museum sector.
Museum Development Yorkshire’s vision is for museums of Yorkshire and the Humber to be secure, accessible and sustainable homes for their collections and of value to the diverse communities they serve. Museums will develop excellence, be ambitious, resilient and deliver quality in all that they do.
Museum Development Yorkshire recognise the mixed museum ecology and geography of the Yorkshire and the Humber region, which is reflected in the institutions and the collections that they hold. Their approach is responsive to this and to the needs of individual museums and the broader matrix of museum provision.
MDY’s role is to help museums to fully understand the complexity of operating successfully in the 21st century and to build on good practice to assist them in releasing the cultural potential of their collections, people and sites.
They provide guidance to museums on their development journey by enabling them to benchmark themselves, understand changes in audience, sector and stakeholder expectations, and identify the steps needed to realise their ambition.
MDY aim to build capacity across the region and foster an environment in which best practice is developed, shared and used to inspire others to deliver their own growth. They match museums with expertise and nurture their capacity to experiment and develop strong museum networks. This is achieved through their relationships with museums and the wider sector, and through using both our broad museum management and business expertise.
- York Museums Trust partner with award-winning House of Memories to launch new app to help those living with dementia
- York Art Gallery selected as finalists for Large Visitor Attraction of the Year at the Visit York Awards 2022
- York Museums Trust invites York’s Hull Road residents to delve into the past in new community research project
- First York employees help fund next year’s colourful Spring flowers in York Museum Gardens
- A Kirkgate Christmas Tale at York Castle Museum