Museum Development Yorkshire
Museum Development Yorkshire is part of York Museums Trust and funded by Arts Council England. They support museums across Yorkshire to manage their resources, look after their collections and provide services to their audiences in ways that meet or exceed recognised standards within the museum sector.
Museum Development Yorkshire’s vision is for museums of Yorkshire and the Humber to be secure, accessible and sustainable homes for their collections and of value to the diverse communities they serve. Museums will develop excellence, be ambitious, resilient and deliver quality in all that they do.
Museum Development Yorkshire recognise the mixed museum ecology and geography of the Yorkshire and the Humber region, which is reflected in the institutions and the collections that they hold. Their approach is responsive to this and to the needs of individual museums and the broader matrix of museum provision.
MDY’s role is to help museums to fully understand the complexity of operating successfully in the 21st century and to build on good practice to assist them in releasing the cultural potential of their collections, people and sites.
They provide guidance to museums on their development journey by enabling them to benchmark themselves, understand changes in audience, sector and stakeholder expectations, and identify the steps needed to realise their ambition.
MDY aim to build capacity across the region and foster an environment in which best practice is developed, shared and used to inspire others to deliver their own growth. They match museums with expertise and nurture their capacity to experiment and develop strong museum networks. This is achieved through their relationships with museums and the wider sector, and through using both our broad museum management and business expertise.
- York’s First Umbrella? New Display at York Castle Museum To Showcase Rare Finds
- International Garden Photographer of the Year Comes to York Museum Gardens for 2018
- YMT Card Holders Invited to Exclusive Private View of Two New Exhibitions at York Art Gallery This May
- Thought provoking works of art to go on display at York Art Gallery this May in exhibition 'The Sea is the Limit'
- Prehistoric Reptile Pregnant with Octuplets on Display in Yorkshire Museum's New Jurassic Exhibition
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.