Google Cultural Institute
York Museums Trust has partnered with the Google Cultural Institute on the Google Art Project to bring our outstanding museum and gallery collections to the online global community.
The Google Cultural Institute brings together millions of artefacts from multiple partners, with the stories that bring them to life, in a virtual museum. Involving the creation of online exhibitions, it enables access to the collections of some of the most prestigious museums and galleries in the world.
Our current stories include key objects from the exhibition ‘1914: When the World Changed Forever’ at York Castle Museum, an insight into ceramics collector W. A. Ismay in association with the Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA) at York Art Gallery, archaeological hoards discovered in Yorkshire from the collection at the Yorkshire Museum, and prehistoric finds that can be used as teaching resources; again, using artefacts from the Yorkshire Museum.
- Clay, Peat and Cage - UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
- Lockdown artwork by Asylum Seekers to go on show in new display opening at York Castle Museum
- Work by world-renowned artist Damien Hirst on display at York Art Gallery
- A new display of The Anthony Shaw Collection entitled ‘Themes’ opens at the Centre of Ceramic Art
- #CuratorBattle received a Highly Commended from the Museum and Heritage Awards