At York Museums Trust we are aware that there are barriers to connecting to our collections. Our work with communities is a step on the way to address these obstacles and help us inspire, share and care for our shared cultural heritage.
We believe that community partnerships are essential to our work and will contribute and help individuals to explore their self-expression, make available opportunities for their personal development and help to steer the work of York Museums Trust.
York Museums Trust is working to make our community partnerships more equal and available to a wide range of people. If you would like to work with us, look at our current projects below or contact our Communities Engagement Researcher Philip Newton ([email protected])
A Takeover is when York Museums Trust invites a community, we are working with, to take over jobs normally done by staff. This allows our us to see a new way of doing things by bringing in new voices, new experiences and giving up some control over our public platforms.
How can you be involved?
We are experimenting with ways our communities can take over while we are at reduced opening so for now this will be limited to our digital platforms. However, once restrictions have been lifted and the Trust is at pre-Covid-19 capacity, takeovers will include physical interventions in the museum. For now, here are some options for you to choose from.
- Put together a series of posts on social media of objects from our collection that you connect with
- Tell us about a specific history, ancient or recent, from your community
- Short interviews/videos of people from your community discussing their histories
- An online tour of one of our exhibitions
- Share something surprising from behind-the-scenes.
- Write a blog
- Curate an online exhibition
- Online quiz/crafts/skills sharing
- Share information about your campaigns and priorities
And of course, you can suggest other ways to takeover!
If you want to know more, Communities Engagement Researcher Philip Newton ([email protected])
Our current partners
York Travellers Trust
York City of Sanctuary
York LGBT Forum and York Pride
York LGBT History Month
Welcome to York Programme
The Good Organisation
York Human Rights City
York Local Area Coordinators
Kyra Womens Project
Refugee Action York
- Trustee of York Museums Trust included in the Woman’s Hour Power List 2020: Our Planet
- New paintings by prominent British artists acquired by York Art Gallery
- Former director of the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum joins York Museums Trust Board of Trustees
- York Museums Trust has now completed its redundancy process.
- Major Digital Arts Exhibition Human Nature to run until May 9 2021
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.