York Castle Museum Object Donations
Our collection reflects the history of York and Yorkshire from 1500 to the present day.
We are particularly interested in acquiring:
Costume and Textile
- Men’s costume from all periods.
- Costume from 1970 to the present day.
- Costume which reflects everyday life, including local industries, from all periods.
- Textiles that reflect trends in hobbies and crafts such as patchwork and quilting, needlework, knitting and crochet.
- Edged weapons.
- Associated memorabilia.
- Female military uniform.
- Items which reflect recent modern day warfare, with particular emphasis on how it links to York.
- Items that reflect ‘hidden histories’ of minority groups in York such as LGBT+ and black and minority ethnic communities.
- Items that reflect modern day living in York including:
- National and local events and festivals.
- York based industries such as racing, chocolate, tourism, and finance.
It is not always possible to accept everything that is offered for the following reasons:
- We already hold similar examples in the collection.
- The item is more appropriate to another museum (e.g. it is not from York or Yorkshire).
- It is in poor condition and would be difficult to preserve.
- There is not enough information about it.
- Rare Roman bronzes acquired by the Yorkshire Museum
- Come and play this half term in York Museum Gardens!
- Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings - Twenty-five recently attributed Gainsborough drawings go on show for the first time alongside major works
- Clay, Peat and Cage - UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
- Lockdown artwork by Asylum Seekers to go on show in new display opening at York Castle Museum