York Art Gallery Redevelopment 2015
York Art Gallery underwent a major redevelopment, reopening on 1 August 2015.
We have increased the gallery’s display space by 60% by creating a new first-floor gallery in the space above the Main Gallery on the ground floor. We have created an entirely new gallery above the existing South Gallery and expanded into the rooms next door to the gallery, formerly occupied by the City Archives.
The gallery now has three exhibition spaces on the ground floor, capable of hosting major national and international exhibitions, and four on the first floor, two of which showcase our internationally significant collection of British Studio Ceramics.
An additional new entrance to the gallery has been created at the rear of the building, leading down from the new first floor gallery into a newly-opened up section of the Museum Gardens, which has been developed into a public green space for fun and outdoor learning.
Other developments include a new expanded cafe, new lifts, new toilets, new shops, a new collection store and an improved Studio space for learning.
The project has brought an investment of £8 million into York. We are very grateful to all our funders who have made this project possible:
National Lottery through Arts Council England – £3.5 million
Private Legacy – £2 million
City of York Council – £500,000
Anthony Shaw Trust – £400,000
Garfield Weston Foundation – £250,000
The Foyle Foundation – £150,000
Sir Siegmund Warburg’s Voluntary Settlement – £100,000
The Feoffees of St Michael’s of Spurriergate – £50,000
Shepherd Group – £50,000 over three years.
- New display at York Art Gallery - ‘Pictures of the Floating World: Japanese Ukiyo-e Prints’
- York Museums Trust CEO joins National Museums Directors’ Council Executive Committee
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Internationally significant ceramics donated to York Art Gallery
- Yorkshire Museum receives a lifeline grant from the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund for external restoration